Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dramatis Purrsonae: Tarmac

This little girl toddled up to the food dishes Sunday and I couldn't believe my eyes! Lovely little black coat with reddish undercoat, and not as wary as she should have been. I couldn't touch her but when I slipped my net under the barricade and tilted it up over her, she didn't react (too busy eating) so I got it over her and eased her back out from under. She was NOT happy, but didn't put up much of a fight. So there I was with a bagful of kitten and no carrier in the car (took it out last week while shoveling out the back... again), but luckily there was a milk crate I'd found roadside and a relatively heavy basket of laundry, so I popped her into the box, bag and all, parked the basket on top, and rolled for home as fast as I could without tipping the whole thing over. Parked her in a cage with wet food, which she gulped down in great quantities, and got a better look at her. About 8 or 9 weeks, I guess; judging from her color I'll bet she was the Black's last hurrah before I got him. Started phoning around for help and Adopt-A-Cat stepped up again, bless 'em; they have a build-a-litter of several unrelated babies who are being looked after by a mom cat who's feral but is a great mother. We put this little girl with the brood; Momcat sniffed her over, shrugged and started grooming her too! A volunteer who works at Hobby suggested the name Tarmac (for her color) and we got her on the spay roster in a few more weeks when she's got some weight on her. I was kind of worried; she had something of a belly on her and I realized that I had probably fed her too much for a first meal, but she digested it with no problems and is now munching her way determinedly through a bag of Royal Canin Baby-Cat kibble. The litter she was put with was mostly tame kittens, and I hear she's beginning to follow their lead and decide to be adoptable!

No comments:

Post a Comment